At Whiteheath Junior School, we believe in offering our pupils as many opportunities outside of learning in the classroom as we possibly can. Each year, children in Year 5 and 6 have the opportunity to attend the following trips:
In Year 5, pupils will have the opportunity to take part in a 5 day trip to Kingswood. This program includes a variety of activities taking place on land, on water and in the air (rope-based challenges), so each brings a different (and fun!) way for children to challenge themselves in a friendly, safe and supportive environment. These activities may include:
- Rock climbing
- Giant Swing
- Raft building
- Sensory trail
- Zip Wire
Over the week, children will develop key skills including leadership, teamwork, communication and problem solving. With the support of their peers, teachers and Kingswood staff, children will be able to overcome new challenges, developing resilience, self-confidence and independence.
You can find out more about Kingswood here:
As children adapt to the challenges brought about by SATS and Secondary school preparation, an off-site outdoor adventure can be just what they need to prepare them in moving forward to the next stage of their education. We believe it is also the perfect way to celebrate and simply have fun with their peers before going their separate ways in Year 7.
We have chosen an exciting four-night experience on the Isle of Wight. They will have a range of exciting visits and experiences such as:
- Amazon World – children will experience an insight into the ecological story of the South American rainforest and its inhabitants.
- Blackgang Chine - a magical theme park filled with fun rides including Water Force Slide and Cliff Hanger roller coaster.
- Robin Hill Country Park - a fascinating blend of natural wildlife and conservation. The park has a range of rides and activities including a downhill toboggan, falconry, adventure play and a canopy skywalk.
- Shanklin Theatre - children will learn about sound, lighting, costumes, dance and singing. They will also be involved in a short staged performance.
- Alum Bay Boat Cruise – children will see close up views of the Needles Lighthouse and Rocks before passing under the 400 foot cliffs to view the sea-level Victorian Fort.
This trip is designed for children to develop team-building skills, forge strong relationships with peers and build independence. It also provides a few days of fun and enjoyment as a reward for all their hard work, and a celebration of their time at Primary School
You can find out more about the Isle of Wight experience here:
Costs of these trips will be communicated to parents early in the Autumn Term.