How to Support Your Child
In order to support your child at home, please try some of the following suggestions.
Health and Wellbeing
- Encourage your child to eat a balanced diet
- Involve your child with their meal choices so they recognise the importance of choosing a range of food groups
- Try to make sure your child does some sort of exercise regularly - preferably a type they enjoy
- Make sure your child looks after their personal health - washing often, brushing their teeth twice a day etc.
- Make sure your child gets a good amount of sleep each night so they are ready to face the day.
- Check in with your child - how are they feeling? Are they worried about anything? Do they need to talk?
- Discuss ways that your child could keep themselves safe - both in the outside world and online.
- Talk about different types of relationships you might have - friends, family, husband/wife, work etc.
- Discuss the importance of staying safe around people - stranger danger, respecting your own body.
- Talk about how important it is to recognise and accept people that are different to yourself ie race, gender, religion.
- Make sure that your child knows who they can talk to if they have a problem.
Living in the Wider World
- Discuss with your child the rules and laws that we have in our country
- Talk about the different groups we have in society so they are aware of their contribution.
- Understand what the basic human rights are.
- Look after the environment - don't litter, destroy or hurt wildlife and nature.
- Share your aspirations so your child believes that anything is possible and to aim high.
- Discuss the importance of money - making it and spending/ investing wisely.